3.7.06

My week as a couch potato



José will be away all week, teaching some course on something that sounds very complicated but I suspect is a summer camp for grad students and university professors.

He´ll clamber over hills to his heart´s content, and be able to talk geomorphology until his hat drops.

Myself, I´ll be able to catch up with all the movies I want.

We´re not all that well matched when it comes to movies. I am an out-and-out fanatic, and love movies, love to watch them many times, and to quote from them. I love rom-coms, the odd blockbuster, and American Indie. But most of all I love classic Hollywood movies.
José is more of a man for "ethnic with a heart". You know, little iranian girl has to sell roses on the street to pay for her blind brother´s operation.
That´s at movie theaters. At home he´s very happy to tune in to whatever schlock is on TV, whether it´s Lethal Weapon VI , or some obscure game show he´s never even seen before. So it doesn´t make sense to rent out stuff, because it goes back unwatched.

So when he goes away I´m free to rent out early Hitchcock, Bette Davis vehicles, and all the Frank Capra I can take. Luckily there´s an excellent video store five minutes walk away. And even more luckily, a fantastically good french patisserie has opened right beside it.

They do all sorts of breads, but mostly I´m in love with their buttery pastries. They make the best croissant in Madrid, and anyone who doesn´t agree can name their seconds and prepare to meet me at dawn.

I´ll miss José terribly, of course, but for now I can look forward to evenings spent in the company of Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Jack Lemmon, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly and Humphrey Bogart, while I sip iced tea with sprigs of mint, and nibble on the oh-so-amazing quiches.

Séptimo Arte
c/ Hortaleza 69
91 310 38 51

Deli Panific
c/ Hortaleza 75

9 comentarios:

LE BLOG dijo...

Hola Xim;
No sé qué pasa con tu dirección de telefónica que me devuelve todos los mails! te envié varios contestando a lo del despachito estudio que habías colgado y nada, uno a uno me los devolvíaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!

Anónimo dijo...

And what about MANHATTAN MURDER MISTERY???????
That is my favourite. No lobsters, sorry

Raquel dijo...

Enjoy being single! ;)

And thank´s for the addresses. So much to do, so little time ...

Anónimo dijo...

If you can't be with the man you love, Cary Grant is an excellent temporary substitution.

lobstersquad dijo...

Absolutely, cary grant is the best company one could have!

Anónimo dijo...

"ethnic with heart," ha ha!

Anónimo dijo...

That sounds like absolute bliss to me.

Anónimo dijo...

What a wonderful week you have planned! I've just enjoyed a weekend visit from my son and blogging partner, Leland, who will go to movies that my husband wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole; today we saw "The Devil Wears Prada", most enjoyable. He thought there was a scene in it that might be an homage to Audrey Hepburn, perhaps from "Funny Face", when Hepburn is in Paris; I'll have to rent that one again.

lobstersquad dijo...

le blog, guru, melissa, martha, tejal, julie, rebecca;
It´s proving excellent so far. yesterday I saw "Sunset Boulevard", one of my favourite. L.A. gothic, complete with sinister butler and burials in the gardens by candlelight. All good.
Longing to see "The devil wears prada", it hasn´t come out here yet.

Share