2.12.08

Prunes in Pedro Ximenez syrup


Prunes have a bad rep. I don´t know why this should be so, but it is. Maybe it´s better if you think of them as dried plums? After all, plums are popular, beautiful, exciting little things with a short season and a winning nature. Prunes are their unglamorous spinster aunt, maybe, but still and all, they´re the spinster aunt of an exciting family, and I love them.

This is my adaptation of a Nigella Lawson recipe. She makes it with Marsala, but of course I use Pedro Ximénez, and so should you. It´s a wine made with rasins, so it goes particulary well with prunes. The result is a strong, dark Rembrandt-brown shiny compote. The fruit is chewy on the outside and smooth inside, and the syrup is beautiful and spicy, and you´ll have plenty to drizzle over yogurt and cereal once the fruit is finished.

Prunes in Pedro Ximenez syrup

Make 500 ml of tea (Earl Grey preferred but any black one will do).
Put it in a saucepan with a strip of orange peel, a star anise, a clove and a stick of cinammon. Add 80 gr. of brown sugar and 100 ml of Pedro Ximenez.
Bring to the boil and put in the plums (prunes, I mean). Simmer for 20 minutes.

Leave it to cool and wait at least 24 hours. It gets better and better, all winey and dark and sticky. N says to serve it with custard, but that´s overkill. Fridge cold yogurt cuts the richness perfectly.

9 comentarios:

xps dijo...

qué pesadez. tendré que probar.

Sol dijo...

I cook prunes with chicken, slow cooked in the oven. Delicious.

Your recipe sounds fab!

Anónimo dijo...

This sounds delicious -- I've never had Pedro Ximenez, but I can imagine the rich flavor when this turns to syrup. Must try it!

Thermomixer dijo...

Sounds divine - if the prunes come from Agen then people are prepared to pay a lot more and eat them willingly. The Pedro Ximenez sounds great - a real English Christmas pudding flavour. Think I'll add the sherry after cooking so as to keep some of that alcohol. Yum

Anónimo dijo...

The word prune really does have such a negative aura about it -- unlike, say, dried apricots. Funny, isn't it?

But this sounds fantastic and I love things that improve as they sit in the fridge.

ChichaJo dijo...

This sounds heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I had a dish in Spain that was served with a PX reduction sauce that was so yummy! I am going to stalk my local Spanish deli until they have some!

Pille dijo...

Mmmm. Yumm. I love prunes, but have been only soaking them in rum and stuff like that. I've obviously got no idea :)

lobstersquad dijo...

xps. pues yo diría que sí, maja.
slice of life: will have to try that!
Lydia: I think you´d love PX
Thermomixer: that sounds like a good idea. they´re pretty boozy as it is, so with that, even better.
Julie: I know. silly. we don´t have a word for them in spanish
Chicha Jo: thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot I had them in the fridge
Pille: this soudns like a good one for a cold nordic winter

Rachel dijo...

YUM!

Share