23.4.07

Dia del libro


I´m only just about recovering from the mega-bash that was the wedding last Saturday. Family weddings are great fun, but navigating the potential minefield that is a marquee-ful of aunts while under the influence of a few G&Ts is quite draining. I think I scattered dinner invitations like confetti, and now I can´t scoop the little things up.
I´m still in a rather delicate state of health, so instead of talking about food, I´ll remind you that today is Book Day. In Spain we are being barraged with talk of Cervantes right, left, and centre.
We´ve had lentils for lunch, which nobody had planned, but is actually a very Quixote dish, mentioned on page 1, no less.
In Madrid, bookshops will be open til midnight. Why anyone should want to buy books at 23:45 rather than 11:45 beats me, but there you have it.
If you can´t face the whole culture vulture scenario, here´s a nice little bookish article for cooks, from The New Yorker, direct to your computer.

7 comentarios:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

Book Day -- what a lovely idea! I adore book shopping in the middle of the night. For some reason the books actually look more mysterious and wonder-full. I can't explain it.

Meredith dijo...

I love that there is a day just for books. If I lived in Spain, I would be one of those 23:45 book store shoppers!

christianne dijo...

That is such a great idea! When I read the title of your post I was afraid I'd misinterpreted... very interesting idea. I was going to go find myself a new book anyways, but now I must!

xps dijo...

Las lentejas eran intencionadas. Qué te crees!!!!
Estoy transida de cultura.

MyKitchenInHalfCups dijo...

I love wandering through a bookstore late at night (if there's no work the next day). It's just peaceful. Well heck I just love wandering a bookstore anytime especially if there's a good cookbook section.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

lobstersquad dijo...

hi:
I think you´re right, it is rather cool. But I prefer mornings, if I can make it.

Anónimo dijo...

Oh I LOVE that illustration! That sheep is all like, "oh ho! you think you're going to catch me, but you are SO wrong!" So cute! thanks for that!

And I agree, a national day for books is a wonderful idea that seems so important in these days of the internet!

Share