3.11.09

Polenta in the rice cooker


The one thing I hadn´t tried in that Gourmet article about rice cookers  I go on and on about was the polenta. It seemed too good to be true, but I needen´t have been so mistrusting. It works a treat. You put the cornmeal and the water and a bit of salt and in a short while there is a creamy mush inside, beckoning with its promise of bland comfort.

I don´t adore polenta, so I wouldn´t be making vast batchces of these, except that I´ve discovered that my baby loves it. This is great because I can plug the thing when we get back from our evening walk and it´s ready by the time P comes out of the bath, hungry.

But even more wonderful, she is just as happy to be fed it the next day. Now, if I am to eat old polenta, it has to be grilled to a crisp and dusted with Parmesan, but P, bless her, knows no better, and is perfectly happy to it wolf down, barely warmed in the microwave. She finds it very easy to spear with a fork and eat it on her own, so it´s all win-win.

Therefore, even at the risk of being a complete bore, I will rework my mantra and say it this way : "parents of toddlers, get yourselves a rice cooker, NOW!" 

Seriously. I have always enjoyed the idea of food that cooks itself, but when there is a young varmint in the house who has just learnt the trick of climbing onto chairs and diving off them, it becomes a necessity.


4 comentarios:

Thy Thy dijo...

Soo cute! glad that your girl likes polenta which is easy and simple to prepare :) I dont like Polenta, but my husband does, therefore sometimes i make polenta with porcini, or bake polenta with some Ragù bolognese. :)

LE BLOG dijo...

Xim by the way, dónde compras tú las atómicas arroceras??? La nuestra a parte de un poco chica, está ya cascadita que no sé si tendrá ya 4 años por lo meno....

lobstersquad dijo...

Cookingpractice: it´s one of those things it´s better to like, isn´t it, since it´s so easy?
Le blog: en una tienda de electrodomésticos que hay en la calle Espíritu Santo. Cuestan 35 leuros y no veas qué gusto da.

xps dijo...

pero qué monada el dibujo. lo de la polenta......

Share