12.11.09

Oven baked breaded fish


I love crispy crusty breaded fish, but since I don´t fry, I´d assumed it was something I´d never eat at home and that was that.
This is done in the oven, and is falling off a log easy, takes just a few minutes and comes out just great. There is no greasy fug around the house, and even though it pains me to point this out, it is a much lighter and healthier way of cooking.

Tamasin´s Kitchen Bible
, the book it´s from, is rather bossy in its insistence on fresh produce and seasonal stuff and what not. I agree in principle, but I hate to be told what to buy by cookbook authours, and it makes me hopping mad when they write "feel free to change an ingredient". Well,of course I feel free. It´s a cookbook, not Stalinist Russia. Are these people totally nuts or what?

All this is just to say that the fish I´ve used is some doubtless highly reprehensible frozen white fillet, and it was still delicious.

The recipe: preheat the oven to 180ªC, dredge the white fish in flour, then dip it in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs mixed with parsley and lemon zest. It´s much better with home made, coarsely grated breadcrumbs.
Lay the fish on an oiled tray or baking dish and bake until golden, about ten minutes, but do check. It´s usually ten minutes per inch of thickness, but ovens vary, etc. That´s it. Easy easy, and plenty of time while it bakes to dress a salad and doll up some bottled mayonaise with lemon juice and olive oil.

4 comentarios:

la ninja dijo...

me muero de la risa... down with all bossy chefs and their ever-so-subtly patronising "feel free to..." ;)
I find it does depend on the cook, though. as far as I’m concerned, some of them can say/write that and much more while being perfectly lovely. however, some others (talented or not) just annoy the pants off you from the word go, don't you find?

Lucy dijo...

Beautiful - hooray for ignoring Tamasin's more bossy notes.

I love her, too, but she can be such a tyrant.

Unknown dijo...

A nice variation on this theme is to use Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) instead. Very light and lovely.

Term papers dijo...

Thank you for lesson.very interesting.
This is a great technique. This is a fabulous Recipe as for me. I need to make some of these!

Share