8.2.10

One-pan chicken


My chicken guy at the market is a very sweet fellow who doesn´t mind selling me only half a chicken. Free range chickens are so big that even half is over a kilo, and that´s a lot of chicken for me. Not that I dislike chicken, but I do find it hard to be fascinated by it. However, stomach flu being what it is, and my baby being now in the grip of it, chicken breast must be gently poached.
So my half of a big chicken gives me one big breast half, skin off, that the butcher cuts out. The thigh and the drumstick. A wing. A piece of backbone, and the neck.
Wing, neck and bone go into the freezer for the making of stock whenever my storage runs low. The other two pieces I roasted today following the method called by la Lawson "one-pan chicken". It results in roast chicken that is quite ok, but that I am happy to leave for a sandwich or pot pie some other day. The star of the show for me are the vegetables; potatoes, onions and carrots that soak up the chicken juices and the fat, char and burn and turn crispy or melting and are just the best thing ever.
This time, I spooned yogurt over them and it was quite a revelation.

10 comentarios:

Suzanne dijo...

yum...that sounds really good! I'll have to try a dollop of yogurt as well!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

Simple is best. I love a chicken that isn't fussed over.

denise - quickies on the dinner table dijo...

Hi :) I've been reading your blog for a while but never commented before. Love your site and your drawings; they are so whimsical! I too love the idea of stirring in yogurt for a chicken casserole or braise. I think sour cream would be good too, don't you?

Ken dijo...

I was just wondering... is "lobstersquad" inspired by Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" by chance? :)

Ken dijo...

I apologize. I see this is true now in your info :o Points to me for guessing correctly anyway!

Zeralda dijo...

I wish they had chickens that size where I live! We were lucky this week to get one of 1.8 kg but that's just about enough for a meal for us four, at a push. Plus the makings of a fabulous stock for a cep risotto. The very best method for roast chicken, to my thinking, comes from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall; dead easy and the best I ever had! Check out the River Cottage Meat book - I've just reviewed it - it's the recipe for herb roast chicken. Try it and be converted.

Sonja dijo...

Where do you buy your free range chickens; please tell!!

Unknown dijo...

Please tell me where I can find your chicken guy! I´ve been looking for a half-chicken guy, to complement my half baguette guy (the baker on Plaza San Ildefonso, best baguette in the barrio, and they will happily break one in half for you).

lobstersquad dijo...

Debjani: it´s in Barceló market, the second group of stalls as you go in (that is, neither the yellow nor the pink, I think it´s green but am not sure). He´s the second chicken guy in the row to your left as you walk in, quite a small place. Next time I go in I´ll note the name, I can´t remember it now.

everyone esle: sorry not to comment, but there are wheels within wheels, and all will be explained.

lobstersquad dijo...

Debjani: it´s stall number 304 at Barceló market. I think the guy´s name is J. Iglesias, but the 304 is for sure.

Share