17.6.09

Leek and potato salad


Potatoes and leeks go together like Simon and Garfunkel, and it´s just a shame to limit their summer partnership to vichyssoise.
My favourite new thing is to add leeks vinaigrette to potato salad. Isn´t that somewhat brilliant? Raw onions are very popular in Spanish potato salads, but I hate to be reminded of my lunch all day long. Leeks, though, leeks are elegant and unobtrusive, and upgrade your humble potato salad.

So here it is:

Boil your potatoes as you would, and in another pan boil whole leek whites until tender but still with a bite.
Cut the warm leeks in shorter segments, mix them with the warm potatoes and add vinaigrette thinned down with a little water. Chopped boiled eggs and parsley can never go amiss.

8 comentarios:

kickpleat dijo...

Too funny because I added leeks into a potato salad a couple of weeks ago! They do pair so nicely. I did not add boiled eggs, my bad.

Anónimo dijo...

ha! I'll have to try this! Yes, I agree, onions can be a bit much when it comes to potato salad. :)

Anónimo dijo...

That IS brilliant!

Raquel dijo...

Tienes más razón que un santo. Qué pesadas se ponen a veces las cebollas.

Esto lo pruebo fijo porque tu vinagreta, además, ya es "una habitual" de mi nevera.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

I love leeks, because they are just a bit sweeter than onions. You could also caramelize them and add to a potato salad; I think that might be delicious, too.

Peter Martin dijo...

I just discovered your blog and I have to say, I absolutely love your drawings and paintings!

lobstersquad dijo...

Kickpleat: genius mind thinking alike. I didn´t add boiled eggs to mine, either, but I will soon
Epicurean´s: onions are a killer
Rebekka: well thank you ma´am
Guru: ole que ole. sin patatas están buenísimos también
Lydia: well, that would really be something. Must try
Peter: thanks a lot, welcome

Jolynn@allthingsdelicious dijo...

I just found your blog and I love your the art and snappy writing style.

Next time I make potato salad, I will definitely try leeks and your vinaigrette. I've been using apple cider vinegar and onions but your way seems better.

If you are ever looking for an extra kick, try capers in your potato salad!

Have a Great Day!

Share