21.5.09

Strawberry gazpacho


Gazpacho is such a great soup that some people just can´t hold themselves in and wait for tomatoes to be good. The minute the thermometer flirts with 30ºC they´re off, and the resulting gazpachos can be a little bit boring and somewhat pale.
This is a version I was taught last week by Isabela Muro. Throwing strawberries in with tomatoes and olive oil into a blender may seem a little bit wacky, but it works very well. The strawberries give it sweetness and colour, and the whole thing is fruity and light and satisfying. The normal gazpacho is much much better, but this makes for a fun little change, and good sense if you must have gazpacho right now.

All you do is mix 1 kg. strawberries, 1 kg. tomatoes, 300 ml. olive oil, 4 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 garlic clove (seedling out and blanched beforehand). Blitz it in a stong blender, strain it with a chinoise and you´re good to go.

9 comentarios:

Pille dijo...

Well, Escolastica's gazpacho still sets the standard for me, but I might try this one with some Spanish strawberries perhaps :)

Siri dijo...

Sounds so good. It make sense to add something sweet that is also red to some early (not-so-sweet) tomatoes.

Thanks a lot, I may have to try this out with the first ripe strawberries of the season here in Norway.

EB of SpiceDish dijo...

sounds absolutely lovely!

lobstersquad dijo...

Pille: yes well, as you well know, that is THE one, but this is not so bad. just don´t use your wonderful wild strawberries for it, it would be a complete waste.
EB. well, it is very pretty and sweet.
Siri: mind you don´t use your wonderful nordic strawberries for this! just the Spanish flown-in jobbies.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

I love the idea of throwing strawberries in. I must admit that during the late summer I'll often toss in some diced peaches -- love the peach-tomato combination.

Anónimo dijo...

I have not had gazpacho, since I was a child. My mother who was Spanish would make it on hot summer days. Yummy.

Pille dijo...

OK, made this last night and it was pretty good. However, I'll withhold my verdict until some proper strawberries and tomatoes come available :)

PS Like Lydia's peach & tomato combo!!

Vicky dijo...

I like this idea entirely... am a bit obsessed with using strawberries in non-dessert contexts at the moment. Thanks!

milojasdebeni@hotmail.com dijo...

me gustaria saber si tu página puedo leerla en español, ya que no se ingles, y como he visto que erea de madrid como yo, me gustaria mucho poder ver tus recibas, recibe un saludo y felicidades por la presentación del mismo

Share