24.9.07

Tomato crumble


We had what looked like a properly autumnal change of season this weekend, with a bit of rain, but now the sun is back, temperatures are pushing thirty, and we might be distracted into thinking this is high summer in Estonia. Lovely weather.
What this means: gather tomatoes while ye may.
It´s not too late. They´re still cluttering up the grocers´ stalls, selling at a euro the kilo. Go on, bake, roast, sauce, soup or chutney, you will be glad later.
If you´ve got more roast tomatoes than you know what to do with, because, say, you´ve been so overenthusiastic that your freezer holds nothing more, this is a great way to use them. It comes from my aunt Gabriela´s book and is her favourite recipe in the whole collection. And I can understand why.
You can´t go very wrong with roast tomatoes, but when you add a crumble with cheese and nuts it elevates the whole thing into the realm of the sheer genius. I dare you to leave enough of this to eat cold the next day.
You´ll need:
Two kilos of roast tomatoes, skinned, but never mind about the seeds. Why is everyone so het up about tomato seeds, anyway? They don´t bother me at all.
100gr. of flour
100 gr. butter
80 gr. fresh bread crumbs (not from stale bread, that is)
80 gr. parmesan or similar aged cheese
30 gr. pine nuts
5 tablespoons of olive oil
thyme, or oregano
salt, pepper.

Since this is a recipe from a Thermomix book, the method is tho grate the cheese with a few jolts of the turbo button, set it aside, and then put the butter, flour, breadcrums, half the cheese and two tbs oil, herbs salt and pepper in the machine. Give it 15 seconds on 6 until it forms clumps.
If you don´t have a processor, then cut the butter into the rest of the stuff in the traditional way, or rub it in with your fingers. It doesn´t take long.
Put this dough on top of the tomatoes in a baking dish, scatter the remaining cheese and pinenuts on top, drizzle with the rest of the oil, the herbs if you´re using them, and bake at 210ºC until golden, about 30 minutes.

I like this with a green salad, but Gabriela suggests anchovy ice cream. For that recipe you´ll have to buy the book, because it entails gelatine and whipped cream, two items that scare the hell out of me and make me think I won´t be making it any time soon.

9 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I like your drawings Ximena and the roasted tomato sounds luscious.

My husband and I are going to be visiting your fair city in a couple of weeks... our first trip to Madrid... looking forward to it.

Di

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe dijo...

I haven't been here in a little while. Your drawings are amazing ~as always!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

This recipe looks amazing! Thanks to you and Gabriela for sharing it.

neil dijo...

You've just evoked a childhood memory, of my mum's tomato & onion bake, sprinkled with breadcrumbs, though your topping sounds more alluring. Tomato season is not too far away, tap, tap, tap.

xps dijo...

No puedo leer esto con serenidad. que rollo perejil!

Ilva dijo...

Brilliant! Sheer genius! Thank you!

Anónimo dijo...

How fascinating, I have never seen a savoury crumble before. I will totally be making this when summer comes around here...

Oh, and I've been reading your blog for a while but this is my first comment. I love your style.

Anónimo dijo...

I've never seen a savory crumble either but when I read this recipe I wonder why not. It's a natural. Sounds delicious.

LE BLOG dijo...

Cómo me gusta este cartelito de tomates....Me encanta la combinación de colores...

Share